Joseff Thomas CV
- Professional experience using PHP, CodeIgniter and Symfony.
- Experience of writing SQL and have used MySQL.
- Knowledge of object-orientated design, MVC architecture and database design.
- Familiar with the Google, Paypal, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter APIs.
- Familiar with Java, Ruby and Python.
- Familiar with unit testing and TDD.
- Familiar with Composer
- Proficient at hand coding HTML and CSS/SASS to web standards
- Knowledge of responsive design, accessibility and cross-browser compliance.
- Knowledge of using frontend frameworks such as Bootstrap UIKit and Tailwind CSS.
Other Relevant Skills
- Knowledge of source control and have experience with Git.
- Knowledge in deploying development environments using Vagrant.
- Quick and keen learner, like to keep skills relevant and up to date by self teaching, reading blogs and attending conferences.
Web DeveloperMay 2018 - January 2019
Nahuru is a data analytics company, which focuses on audience measurement services for the entertainment and marketing industry. I have been working with Nahuru on various projects on a freelance basis.Responsibilities and Achievements
- Implemented website redesign using PyroCMS and Bootstrap.
- Nahuhash - developed torrent hash search UI for their 'Sauto' database using Vue.js.
- Developed a dashboard user interface to display Periscope Data charts.
Symfony PHP DeveloperNovember 2017 - May 2018
My role at Tonic Works has involved working on various SaaS projects within the LegalTech sector using Symfony and React.Responsibilities and Achievements
- Furthering the development of "QuoteXpress" CRM system using Symfony and React.
- Building a PHP API wrapper for the Land Registry SOAP API.
Web DeveloperNovember 2016 - November 2017
Twinkl is an online educational resource company with over two million registered users worldwide. My role has involved furthering the development of the Twinkl website and internal systems using PHP and MySQL.Responsibilities and Achievements
- Built help desk ticketing system, which brought all the customer support into one place. A part of this made use of the the Gmail API to send and receive emails via the help desk.
- Used the Paypal API to build system to allow colleagues to send payment requests to users and also make refunds through the system.
- Modernised processes in the web team such as using Composer, using Xdebug and switching to PHPStorm.
Web DeveloperJuly 2014 - November 2016
Pelicanconnect is community management software for institutions such as schools and universities. It is composed of two major sections, a front end community network portal and an admin portal, which includes a user database, CRM, email engine, CMS and fundraising tools.Responsibilities and Achievements
- My role involves working closely with the founders and CTO to develop new features and functionality using PHP, CodeIgniter and MySQL.
Some key features that I have developed have included:
- Photo gallery module, which allows users to upload and view photos on the network.
- Activity tracker module, which allows school administrators to keep of a log of activities with end users.
- Various enhancements and bug fixes to keep the networks running smoothly.
- Occasional non development tasks such as setting up new clients and exhibiting at conferences.
- Recruiting and training new junior developers.
Web DeveloperSeptember 2013 - September 2015
www.businessbecause.com / www.engineeringbecause.com
My role involves furthering the development of two niche networking websites, BusinessBecause, a global network for MBA students and EngineeringBecause, a network for the world's top engineering students. The websites are built in PHP/CodeIgniter, incorporating modules from PyroCMS.Responsibilities and Achievements
- Simplified the registration process, which allowed people to register using their LinkedIn and/or Facebook accounts, which led to a 200% increase in registrations.
- Developed a new homepage using elements from Bootstrap, which made it easier to register and view the latest news stories.
- Incrementally optimised the website for mobile, using HTML5, CSS3 and Bootstrap, this has lead to an increase in traffic from mobile users.
- Developed resume books, allowing business schools to showcase their students to potential employers, this led to an increase in registrations from business school students.
Web DeveloperJune 2011 - September 2012
This was an industrial placement as part of my degree. I was involved in developing "ComplianceControl Centre", an electronic document and quality management system for use in the pharmaceutical and life sciences industries.Responsibilities and Achievements
- Responsible for writing much of the documentation for "ComplianceControl Centre", including Requirements, Design and Testing Specifications.
- My work helped contribute to Compliance Control Ltd being awarded investment from the North West Fund for Biomedical.
IT Technical Support AssistantJune 2010 - September 2010
This was a general IT support role, my main duty was replacing and configuring old computers throughout the hospital. In addition, I was also responsible for fixing day to day IT problems for end users.
BSc (Hons) Computer Science2009 - 2013
A-Levels2007 - 2009
History, IT, Geography.
GCSEs2002 - 2007
10 including English and Maths.
My interests include rock climbing, running, cycling, home cooking and photography.